Before we go any further, I would like to apologize in advance to my beloved Vegan friends. There will be meat, and lots of it in this post. Insane amounts of it.
Flank Steak is not something I have ever seen ANYONE I know prepare. I wouldn’t even know how to suggest dishing it up if I had not bought this in my bargain budget shopping. After some digging was done, in my jammies on the couch under my blanket, I found oven suggestions. I had no idea a Flank cooked properly after marinade becomes a London Broil. I have paid insane amounts for a decent broil in restaurants and here I was going to be making my own! I went with my recipe, which involved adding Tequila. Please make sure to read modifications and my tips because I learned some serious awesome lessons and in the process got an amazing meal last night.
Pixie doesnt traditionally eat medium prepared meat, and I do only if I need some higher irons. Neither of us eat a great deal of red meat at all. For us this was a challenge, an adventure and the chance to spread our evolving menu options. (Tip) I picked this flank up on sale for $0.49 Lb. Once every other week my Publix has the great meat sale. I only found out about it by asking the meat department manager. They mark down everything that has a day or two left in shelf life. Rather than keep and sell past that point which is not really horrible, but against this particular store managers vision, they sell it. His theory – get it in the hands of people who need it can freeze it use it and get it out of the store rather than throwing it away five days later. Sunday morning the meat goes out, and people are waiting. It’s like the 50$ laptops at Walmart on Black Friday.
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 medium jalapeno chile pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 3/4 cup corn oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 pounds beef flank steak
- kosher salt to taste
- Puree the garlic, onion, lime juice, jalapeno, thyme, cilantro, corn oil, and honey into the bowl of a blender or food processor until the ingredients are well incorporated. Marinate the flank steak with 1/2 cup of the puree in a resealable bag overnight in the refrigerator. Reserve the rest of the puree to use later as a sauce.
- Pre-heat a grill for medium-high heat.
- While grill is warming, remove the meat from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Discard any marinade left in the bag. Liberally season the steak with the kosher salt, and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- F+ the Grill ! If you dont feel like standing out in your yard here’s a quickee!
Turn your oven up to Broil , make sure you TAKE out your shallow broiler pan as your Flank will go on this. You want to give your broiler about 10 minutes. Trust me it still needs to get hot like a regular oven. Place Flank on broiler pan and do 4 minutes on each side, a few inches under your broiler. Mine is under my oven and I just slide my pan in and let the gas flames and basket work their magic!
- Remove and rest on a cutting board a few minutes.
- To serve, slice the steak against the grain into 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices.
Modifications and Tips
Before lets it come up to room temp so when you broil it, the internal temp heats up quickly to the correct meat temperature.
After you cook it letting it rest allows the juices to release throughout the meat relaxing it so it is tender and amazingly delicious.